Sunday, April 5, 2009

Night lament

She lifted up her voice and the sorrow spilled from her, pouring uncontrolled into the early morning darkness. Awakened, I crept to the window and peered through the blind's plastic slats. Nothing.

Back in bed I lifted up the voice of my heart, wet with her sorrow. "How many women cry tonight? Mothers by their dying babes. Teenagers robbed of their virginity. Wives wondering when their husbands will come home. In loneliness and desperation, they weep. Who cares? How long, O Lord, till you come make things right?"

The woman hidden in the darkness of Randolph Street did not cry alone. For the God who heard my prayers was near to her. He woke me in the darkness so I could hear her lament and intercede for her.

Morning dawns. Christ has not returned to earth. All of creation continues to groan, longing for redemption. Christ gives me breath for another day, and though I don't fully understand why, this I do know.

"The earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea." Hab. 2:4.

"Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear with out someone preaching to them?" Rom. 10:13-14.

"For God, who said, 'Let light shine out of darkness,' made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ." 2 Cor. 4:6.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good deds and praise your Father in heaven." Matt. 5:16.

2 comments:

  1. Hauntingly beautiful...
    Sometimes I wonder how much longer we can go on like this, and other times I wonder how we will be able to stand a new world. We are so used to beauty balanced with pain; how will be be able to contain sheer, undiluted joy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too long for the perfect day...and yet, today I rejoice because we have another day to share the Message with those who perhaps, had they not seen Christ in us, would not find peace in that day.

    "The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not willing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance." 2 Peter 3:9

    ReplyDelete