Thursday, March 11, 2010

What Matters Most



"We can do no great things, only small things with great love." ~ Mother Teresa.

My mother-in-law modeled this for me today as she stopped by to pick something up, then ended up helping Tristan build his first snowman in the back yard. (Notice how she is clapping her hands in praise of him). Too often I find myself too busy doing "big" things to stop and do the little things. As Shane Claiborne says, "It's easy to fall in love with the great things . . . .We can so easily become driven by our vision for church growth or community or social justice that we forget those little things like caring for those around us."

It won't be long before my son knows stress and worry as he faces life's battles. For now, he plays. He delights in his world. He trusts his daddy and mama. What a beautiful season of life for him. May I as his mama not miss it because I was too busy trying to "do things that count".



After she left we carried snowballs to the sunny front yard and built a snowman. By the end of the day there was a small ball left. If I'd just make enough snowmen I could clean all that snow out of the backyard :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh Carla, such a precious boy!

    Where does the Shane Claiborne quote come from? Have you read book(s) by him?

    Reading your blog makes me miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you too, Rosie! I was just in NYC at JFK. Hated to be so close to you and not see you. The Shane Claiborne quote comes from a youtube clip. He was reading from his book "The Irresistible Revolution". I just learned about him and am so inspired by what I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...beautiful example.

    Goodness, Tristan is such a little BOY instead of a baby!

    I think it's safe to say that the person and writings of Shane Claiborne have done more to direct my interests and clear my vision than anyone else. Hearing him speak in Philly on his Jesus for President book tour was an incredible experience that still inspires and disturbs me.

    ReplyDelete