Sunday, April 4, 2010

Celebrating Life

Saturday tasted of paradise. Geryll, Tristan and I worked together in the back yard, biked together at Presque Isle, then cooked together before going to bed. Days like this, so precious, can make me afraid. I fear pain and death that may come, bringing tears rather than laughter, making it impossible for me to live another day like this one.

This coming week marks 10 years since my 6th grade student, Heather, was killed in an accident. I remember the shock, the realization that I could not have another moment with her. The recent tragedy involving the Esh family reminds me that I can't keep my family alive.

How does a woman live with this realization? I know that no one can take away the sweet family times I've experienced. I have "right now" with my family. Still, that isn't sufficient.

I also know that though tears and death are inevitable, they are not the final word for me as a Christian. Isaiah 25:8 says, "He will swallow up death forever. The Sovereign Lord will wipe away the tears from all faces." This is what Easter speaks to me this year. Christ's suffering reminds me of the pain of living. His resurrection promises me the hope of life after death.

"Because he lives, I can face tomorrow." I can't honestly say, "all fear is gone". I will say, "I bring my fears to Him. I know He holds the now, has held the past and will hold the future."



No comments:

Post a Comment