Saturday, September 4, 2010

Home from Vacation

We're back in cold, rainy Meadville after a vacation to the Outer Banks. Hurricane Earl sent us home two days early. Hurricanes and vacation go together for us. Hurricane Frances sent us home a week early on our honeymoon.

Vacationing with a five week old baby and a two year old definitely stretches me as a mom. Some experiences are so much sweeter others are so much more trying. Thursday morning was that way. Both boys were awake at 5:45. Since I'd been hoping to slip out to the beach and watch the sunrise I decided to take them with me.

In the dim calm of the morning, pushing Tristan in the stroller and carrying Alex in the sling I felt so happy to be a mama sharing this special morning with my boys. We got to the beach and waited and waited and waited for the sun to rise. Any thoughts of meditation for me where vain since Tristan begged to go back to the house. We sang songs and said verses and counted the pelicans flying overhead. Finally I realized the sun had risen behind the clouds. So much for Tristan being excited about watching the orange ball of sun rise for the first time.

I remind myself that all too soon my boys will be older and I'll be able to go watch the sunrise in peace. Probably then I'll be begging one of them to wake up and see it with me. 
The sling is a lifesaver! Alex and I both love it. When I'm outside he can ride in here protected from the sun and wind. It's been great at picnics, enabling me to help Tristan or get my own food while holding Alex. I made the sling, following the tutorial found here. Usually he inside the sling further than he is on the picture. He's getting too big for this one.

2 comments:

  1. I love your sling.
    I must be crazy. I just watched that video and am now trying to figure out where I would need extra room for a 22lb stuart :).
    I am so sorry about your vacation and hurricane thing. wish you could come over tonight. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did some more reading about pouch slings. Apparently the reason it's getting so tight for Alex is because I made the sling a little too small. This website http://www.mykarmababy.com/pages/BabySlingPattern.php shows pictures of a toddler in the sling.The sling size is the same. From what the directions say at this website, I didn't add enough extra room to my shoulder to hip measurement.

    ReplyDelete