Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Blessed by a Child


"Even a child is known by his doings; whether his work be pure, and whether it be right." Proverbs 20:11. Last week Tristan's young friends came for a birthday party. 15 children brought our small backyard to life as they blew bubbles, listened to stories on tapes, hopped in a trash bag sack race, and pulled each other in the wagon.

As the party ended, I helped my friend and her children cross the street to her van. Returning to the backyard, I found my little friend Chris hard at work. He had cleaned up the yard! The blanket tent was taken down from the washline. The games, books and toys were piled into the wagon! His mom said he wanted to clean up before he went home. Earlier, when some children were in danger of being scratched by some branches from a bush, Chris came to me, worried. I clipped some branches, then gave the clippers to him. He continued to prune for a long time.

The memory of his gift lingers in my mind since that day. His thoughtfulness and willingness to help reveal the beauty of his young heart. They call me to offer my gifts to God and others freely.


No comments:

Post a Comment