Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Turning Thirty

A little over a week ago, it happened. I turned 30. In many ways I'm ready for this. Plenty of my friends have gracefully reached this mark. Still, it's sobering. I want to cling to the energy and passion of youth while receiving the wisdom and maturity of age. Is it possible to have both?

At times the fervor of youth surges through me: reckless ambition, wild dreams, desire to change the world for Christ- whatever it takes. All accompanied by a pounding heart. Often the feelings subside as I soberly realize how much hard work, disappointment, sacrifice, and tears will accompany the fulfilling of those dreams. Life has taught me that having your dreams come true isn't as glamorous as it first seems.

Still, I will dream big, for at 30 I know more of God's bigness than I did at 20. In the last 10 years He's taken me places I never imagined as a teenager, some happy, some sad- all full of His presence, whether I saw it or not. I open my journal, take pen in hand, and dream about the next 10 years, knowing nothing is too big for Him.

The flowers are from my dear far-away friend, Rhonda, who graciously remembers my birthday when I forget hers. The picture is poor, but there are 2 sweet lilies in the boquet.

On to other things. . . We went to Caia's wedding in West Virginia- a 6+ hr. drive. With a boy pushing 4 teeth, plus driving down Friday and coming back Saturday, most of the trip wasn't super fun. As we crossed the West Virginia mountains, I kept thinking of the pioneers. Here I'm going crazy cramped in the backseat of a car with a fussy boy. All the while I can look forward to a break for a cone, a bed in the evening, and meeting with friends the next day. None of that for them! I can't see that riding in a wagon day after day would have been comfortable for Mom or fun for a toddler. No bathrooms, friends left behind, stewing supper over an outdoor fire. . .the list could go on and on. Below, Tristan and Geryll are relaxing in the hotel. Somehow, I didn't get any good pictures at the lovely wedding.




2 comments:

  1. My dear friend,

    Your energy and vision inspire me. When I read..."Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord" (Rom.12:11)...I think, this describes Carla!

    I am ten years behind you and not nearly as wise, but my outlook on life has changed a lot in the last year. And I can say that I expect life to be less glamorous than I did as a highschooler, but I expect it to grow deeper, sweeter, fuller. Knowing you helps me believe this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quote is from The Pursuit of God.

    ReplyDelete