Saturday, July 31, 2010

Precious Little One

 
For him we've been waiting. As Geryll wrote several weeks ago:

Within the bounds of the universe
Grows a seed of its own the first
Out of ecstasy life takes root
Unknown yet received as the silent dew.

Within the bounds but unbound within
A soul awakes where none has been
Unfolds a world which, unconstrained
Changes the place herein contained.

Love is a seed which sheds its fruit
Upon hard earth or indifferent brute
Yet sweetens the place where grace has passed
And wakes the smiles like blades of grass

Precious little one, who might you be
Wringing the heart of its tears and glee
Now for the present we wait and see
Wait for the flower escaping the seed


 
On July 25 at 5:55 p.m. Geryll, the midwife, and I saw for the first time the person no one had yet seen- little Alex Samuel, weighing 7 lbs. 8 oz. 20 1/2 inches long. We delight in his wholeness and sweet disposition. So far he has been very contented, sleeping and eating well.

 
Tristan has had an emotional week of missing Mama's attention. If only he could talk more about what he's feeling! He loves Alex, often wanting to hold him. The trouble now is that Tristan has a cold, making me anxious about him touching the baby.

 
As I sat in the clinic, cuddling my newborn son, these words played through my mind for him, "God has given you all that you need in the package of your life to be an overcomer". I don't know what Alex will have to overcome. I do know that life is a battle. My mama heart wants to shield him as much as possible. In all this goodness I can still fear many things, realizing that as I embrace life I must also embrace death. I can't imagine living without Jesus' sustaining presence.

It has been a week of one blessing after the next. We would never have made it without the help of the grandmas. Our friends blessed us with phone calls, emails, gifts, cards, and food. I could go crazy trying to absorb it all, feeling so unworthy and so grateful.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Carla! I wondered if your baby had made his appearance yet! Alex is simply adorable. Tristan's expression is so inquisitive in the picture, like he's entirely absorbed with learning his little brother by heart. God bless you all with joy and memorable moments despite the adjustment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Carla on another sweet lil boy! :) Blessings to you all!!

    ReplyDelete