Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thankful for Song



Last Saturday morning as I cleaned my kitchen my mind churned out grouchy thoughts. All morning I'd been an emotional mess, perhaps partly due to the naughty donut I'd eaten first thing. I forced myself to sing words I didn't feel like singing but still wanted to be true, "Spirit of God, descend upon my heart." To my surprise, the grouchy went away immediately. The song changed my morning.

I married a man with a beautiful singing voice. He sings while he works. He sings our boy to sleep at night. Together we have a son who loves singing. Tristan often gets the pitch pipe (he calls it the "wa wa"), blows it, hums "do-so" and walks around singing in his mostly monotone voice. When Daddy is home Tristan loves to bring him the songbook and pitch pipe so they can sing together. I believe Geryll's songs nurture Tristan's spirit in ways nothing else could.

Today I thank God for the life giving, reality changing power of words set to song.

5 comments:

  1. Carla, this is such an awesome testimony! Thanks for sharing. Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture, those moments... you'll cherish those!

    Thanks for the challenge to sing when grouchy. I was feeling rather sorry for myself this evening and needed that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carla, Geryl, you both are so inspirational to me. You probably never thought that, that by what you write here, always brings me out of the many slumps I'm in. Geryl is always so quiet, I never know, what he might be thinking. But, in his quietness, I now know. he is singing to God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, I have so often found that true for myself, as well. There is such power in music, especially in those rich old hymns! They truly lift the soul to God. (Oh, and you have a beautiful voice yourself, my friend!) ~ Joanna Yoder

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I'm not the only one? I can't say how many times I've choked out words to a hymn, not "feeling" like it AT ALL - but somehow hearing the words come out of my lips changes my attitude.
    I've had a sorry attitude recently - maybe I need to be singing more! Thanks for the reminder!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete